We’re an industry Front-runner. Committed to safe, environmentally conscientious whale watching.
With our 13 vessels, locations in both Victoria and Vancouver, and close to 100 staff in peak season, Prince of Whales is one of the largest whale watching and eco-adventure companies in British Columbia. As such, we are proud to be a leader in responsible whale watching and to have served as teaching platforms for whale research.
We are committed to customer service excellence from the moment we welcome you as our guest to the time we wave good-bye. Our team of guest service guides are Worldhost trained and certified; meaning, we are dedicated to doing everything we can to ensure that your time with Prince of Whales is nothing short of spectacular. In order to make your time with us more enjoyable, we try simplify things rather than complicate them, we will guide you rather than direct you, and finally we will provide you with enough time on the water to really relax and enjoy the viewing experience.
From the very beginning, we have been committed to hiring only the best guides. Some of our earliest staff members are still with us and have set the tone for the quality of our tours. To this day we operate above and beyond Transport Canada crewing regulations to ensure your experience with us is always a personal one.
As an industry front-runner, Prince of Whales is committed to safe, environmentally conscientious whale watching. We work with other members of the eco-tourism industry to continue conservation efforts, and to make sure that the whales’ habitat remains pristine for years to come.
To take a closer look at who we really are, be sure to check out our page of staff biographies in the Our Team section.
- Salish Sea Dream embarks on its maiden voyage from Vancouver to Victoria
- Construction of Salish Sea Dream is completed
See how we transported the Salish Sea Dream
- Half-Day Whale Watching Tours begin from downtown Vancouver
- Prince of Whales is awarded the Tourism Vancouver Island Power of Partners award.
- Construction of Salish Sea Dream begins.
- Prince of Whales joins 1% For the Planet.
- Granville Island retail operations begin.
- Blueprints of Salish Sea Dream arrive on Alan McGillivray’s desk.
- Prince of Whales launches its sister company Sea Vancouver Waterfront Sightseeing Adventures.
- The Ultimate Day Tour is recognized as a Canadian Signature Experience.
- Service to The Butchart Gardens begins in partnership between Prince of Whales, CVS Tours, and The Butchart Gardens.
- Ocean Magic begins service between Vancouver and Victoria.
- Construction of Ocean Magic II is completed.
- CConstruction of Ocean Magic is completed.
- Vancouver operations begin at The Westin Bayshore Hotel.
- Senior Zodiac Skipper and longest standing employee, Mark Malleson, joins the company.
- The first Prince of Whales zodiac-style RHIB is built by Titan Boats.
- The Pacific Whale Watching Association (PWWA) is formed .
- Prince of Whales is officially incorporated, and whale watching tours begin from the Victoria inner harbour.
- Victoria, BC hosts the Royal Family and the Commonwealth Games inspiring the name Prince of Whales.
- Inter Island Launch Ltd. wins contracts with the Times Colonist and Canada Post to deliver mail to the Gulf Islands.
- Alan McGillivray and his new family move from Vancouver to Victoria.